Monday, March 7, 2011

Cloth Diapering #3

I have decided to use cloth diapers with our new baby.  I have never used them before but have always been intrigued.  When Liam was born, I had no way of laundering them.  When Aiden was born I didn't want to make the investment.  This time around I just decided to do it.  After all, diapers are $30 per case these days and cloth diapers only cost you once!

So I did some research, asked a few friends, and then searched Ebay for a good deal.  I found 17 diapers on Ebay for a one time investment of $250.  They came in the mail today and I spent a good hour stuffing them and snapping them and just playing around with them.  I am super excited to begin this new chapter of my life.

I know there are lots of reasons to cloth diaper, such as the impact on the landfills and that they are actually softer and more cushy for sensitive skin.  But my main motivation was the cost.  I am holding out a little ray of hope that I can take a year off from work to be with the baby next year.  Diapers would be an extra expense that we would have to find money for.  This way, we won't have to.  Plus, they are super cute!  Love all of the colors and the fact that they don't look cheap.

I am hoping some of my readers can offer me some cloth diapering tips and support.  I have chosen the Bum Genius 4.0 one-size with snap closures to begin my cloth diapering journey.  I have inserts and doublers.  I have stuffed the diapers and feel ready to use them.  So lets hear from others out there that cloth diaper.  What brands have you used?  What were the pros and cons?  What other products have you purchased to help you in this journey?  Any words of wisdom?  My biggest concern is leakage, especially at night because I would prefer a child that sleeps through the night as soon as possible and do not want leaks waking him up.  What are your thoughts on night time diapering and leaks?

As soon as our little guy is here I will update you all on this adventure and our progress.  I'm sure there will be a learning curve, I'm sure we will have our share of mishaps, and I am also sure that there will be an occasion or two when I reach for my old standard disposables.  But I really want to try this.  So, here's to cloth diapering!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you!! I did try it, but gave up when it came to washing them...that was when I was a first time mom w/ Zach. I had bad post partum blues and didn't realize it till late also. Much better for their skin & everything else! The only advice I can give you and I don't know if this would even help, but Kyle has super sensitive skin, excema and hives as you know and has always had excema basically since he was born & did the Vaseline and special lotions on him. He was a massive bed wetter til honestly about a year ago only at night, and the only way that I could get the smell of urine out is by using distilled white vinegar. Bleach he reacts go. So, we use white vinegar in everything, towels, cleaning the floors (since you can't use chemicals on them, and I strongly feel plain water does not kill germs). So, I have been using white distilled vinegar on everything and it leaves no smell at all I use hot to wash and cold to rinse. I think your little man will do great and I only can remember my mom saying to double bundle diaper Zach at night to help him stay dry. Keep us posted!! You really are going to save in the long run!! I can't believe prices of diapers when I go to buy a gift these days!! =) Keep going mama!!

    ReplyDelete